Plan your Link Trail hike!


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

One Last Time Capsule from Summer


Here's a third time capsule, this one from August 22nd. For more pictures from this hike, see the Picasa web album.

Dylan and I walked east from Nelson Road. It was a hot day, so when it started raining we didn't mind much. The only problem was that it kept me from taking my camera out toward the end of the hike. So I didn't get any pictures of Dylan or me, nor of the rolled leaves that I noticed at the beginning of the hike.

What I did get was some shots of a wildflower I'd never seen before. Just a minute or two into the hike I noticed that the marshy area to the south of the trail was full of magenta blossoms that I couldn't immediately identify. When I went closer, I was surprised to find that I still couldn't identify them. After years of walking all over the hills and ravines south of Oneida I didn't think there was a showy wildflower I hadn't seen. I was wrong.









I just found the flower in my Peterson's Guide to Wildflowers. It's hairy willow-herb (Epilobium hirsutum).

No comments: